I first met Project Laundry List founder Alexander Lee in Manchester at a Going Green Expo a few years ago. I noticed he was passionate about his mission. Since then his passion to make line drying of clothes legal and acceptable has taken off. The mission of PLL is
“making air-drying laundry acceptable and desirable as a simple and effective way to save energy.”
Recently they have received a significant grant for purposes of strategic planning. They plan to strengthen their focus and deliver on their mission.
Vermont just passed its Right to Dry legislation. PLL expects to see a more states pass “right to dry” legislation this year. Lee is writing a book about laundry and planning Project Laundry List’s first Clotheslines Across the Nation Tour (Sept. 7 to Sept. 17). Lee asks people to help him make drying legal and acceptable when he writes in his most recent newsletter - “Will you step up to the line?”
Why, we ask?
Dryers use ten to fifteen percent of domestic energy in the United States!
Ten top reasons to dry:
10) Save money (more than $25/month off electric bill for many households).
9) Clothes last longer. Where do you think lint comes from?
8) Clothes and linens smell better without adding possibly toxic chemicals to your body and the environment.
7) Conserve energy and the environment, while reducing climate change.
6) It is moderate physical activity which you can do in or outside.
5) Sunlight bleaches and disinfects. (more…)